Monday 15 December 2008

El Coronil

On a cold, frosty morning (see picture of Nellie), I set off on the road to El Coronil, a small town of approximately 5000 inhabitants, about 40kms northwest of Olvera.
We had passed El Coronil a couple of times on the way to other places so I thought it might be worth a visit.







The view of the town from the main A-375 road, now bathed in sunshine. In contrast to Olvera, the landscape here is quite flat with gentle rolling hills. Still very picturesque though.










I parked the car in one of the sidestreets and walked in the general direction of the Church spire which could be seen in the near distance.
This is Calle San Roque, one of the prettier streets that I came across.









A pretty fountain in the street.



























The Ayuntamiento in the Plaza de la Constitución.












An unusual plaque on the wall of the Ayuntamiento. Not sure if it is an award for excellence or a self proclamation of the excellence of service provided!.










View of the Plaza de la Constitución.













Looking towards the Iglesia de Nuestra Senora de Consolación (Church of Our Lady of Consolation).


























































The town and castle, currently undergoing restoration, date from the 14th century.

After about an hour or so, I started to walk back to the car.
I wouldn't describe El Coronil as the prettiest place I have been to but then it was only a short visit and I only covered a small area. Still quite pleasant just to wander around though.




No comments: