Monday 19 October 2009

Chinese jokers.....!!

Yes, the joke was very definately on me. On this auspicious day in the calendar, my birthday, we were kindly invited by our good friends Mel and Gerry for a surprise birthday treat.
The story goes back to this day last year when I really fancied a Chinese meal and having previously been to our nearest restaurant in Campillos, with different friends, we drove the 40 kms (25 miles) from Olvera, talking on the way of how I really fancied a curry and generally wetting our appetites at the feast that would be before us.
However, when we got there it had closed down and was up for sale so in torrential rain we drove back to Olvera, continuing past to a Spanish restaurant, a round trip of about 60 miles.
I haven't been allowed to live it down since.
So today, I was relieved to see that we were heading in the direction of Ronda, a lovely town about 50 kms south of Olvera. However, arriving outside the restaurant I was astounded to see that once again the restaurant was closed and up for rent.
Of course, unbeknown to me, the pair of jokers (I'm being polite in my description of them) had set me up, having come to Ronda the previous week and asked at the tourist office for the location of Chinese restaurants in town.
The seeds of a very good leg pull were sown when they found the closed restaurant pictured above.

Having said all that, Plan B was a short walk to another restaurant where we at last enjoyed that belated lovely meal in terrific company.
Many thanks to both Mel and Gerry for their friendship and generosity.
After this escapade though, I just want you both to know that I have a very long memory.........!!.

1 comment:

Chikoroll said...

Happy Birthday for yesterday Alan..!!We have eaten in that restaurant...and very nice it was too,glad you enjoyed it! xx